The Vulnerable Manifesto






One more year. Yet another year. Nothing has changed.

Today, May 12th, I have woken up locked up in the same place, and I can still see that:

Society continues to poison me with its toxins; this cruel, unjust society that is so comfortable in its greediness.

Society rejects me for not producing and not consuming as those with healthier bodies do, while the owners of the toxic industries mock me and get richer.

Society has abandoned me and says that it is my fault that I live with this illness, as though it is a whim, as though I do not want to make an effort, as though it is something I made up, to avoid going to work.

My body, my bed and my walls have become a prison, with only my window and my thoughts as company, with no chance of parole in sight.

Condemned to live in the shadows, I am what society wants to hide. My part of the narrative will never make it into the history books.

After years of working hard and paying taxes, I have no rights and I am excluded from the Welfare State. It is assumed that I am malingering, while in truth I am disabled.

My exile is imposed on me by administrators, politicians and doctors, the same ones who promised me they would be there to help me. They betrayed me when I most needed them. Now they pretend I don’t exist. They act as though I am a nuisance and make fun of me, while hiding the fact that every day there are more and more of us.

Although I can barely move, I have decided, once more, to be determined and brave. Visible despite being housebound. Weak and vulnerable but never a coward.

I have decided I will continue to live, to fight, despite my vulnerability; because of my vulnerability. I will not be silenced, although they want to shut me up.

This is what I have decided, again this year. Once again, because nothing has changed.

I hope that you will do the same. Yes, you who are also vulnerable, although you may not realize it. We need to continue to fight without giving up, to shake society’s comfortable thoughts and question how we live as a society. To question all of the “development” which is killing us slowly. Until those of us who are vulnerable are no longer defenceless. Until there is justice, respect and compassion for all.


No Fun and Liga SFC (CFS/ME League)
Spain, May 12, 2011
May 12th, International Day of Central Sensitivity Syndromes
(Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Fibromyalgia and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)